On April 30, 1814 fourteen dedicated people from London Bridge Baptist Church met at Moseley’s Meetinghouse for the purpose of organizing a new church in the rapidly growing section of Princess Anne County known as Kempsville.
Less than a month later, May 21, 1814, James Norris presented a petition from the newly constituted Kempsville Baptist Church for admission into the Baptist Association. Upon examination and being found orderly and orthodox, the church was cordially received and her name enrolled with the Association.
In 1826, the congregation purchased the abandoned courthouse building and used it as their house of worship until 1911, when they moved into a newly erected wood framed church. This building was destroyed by fire in 1963.
To serve the rapidly growing community, the present church was built and dedicated on March 2, 1958. This was the beginning of the ministry of Kempsville Baptist Church. Today the modern borough of Kempsville is heavily populated and busy with a variety of shopping centers, banks, churches, and schools.
Kempsville Baptist Church keeps pace with the ever changing community and looks forward to the future, holding steadfastly to the task of proclaiming Christ, the purpose for which the church was organized 201 years ago. In April, 2014 we celebrated KBC’s 200th Anniversary as a church body! Now, we're 201 and counting.